Many of us whenever get a missed call from an unknown number, try to recall that number, and when we fail to find the true owner of that number, finally most of us go on Truecaller and search for number owner information isn’t it.
About Truecaller :
Its main feature is Basically a Caller identification service but by time now it has got many additional features too like blocking spam calls, messenger, SMS blocking, and more such features related to calling.
Simply it is the service that eases the work of finding owner details of any number.
It is available to download as an application on Android and iOS phones & they also provide their phone number identification service through their official site called truecaller.com.
Truecaller CEO Alan Mamedi said that by the end of 2020, Truecaller users had grown from 213 million to 267 million, an increase of nearly 25%. Out of those 200+ million users were from India alone.
Before explaining Trucaller is safe or not you should know how Truecaller actually works.
How does Truecaller work?
Well, it’s all game of data. There are few sources of data of the truecaller:
- They manage to collect their data through the partnership with various phone directory providers globally.
- Every single Sign Up from the application is also saved to records.
- Truecaller’s community present on the app and website suggest the owner of the phone number which are also recorded.
- In countries other than the United Kingdom and European Union if you download the Truecaller app from a source other than the Google Play Store or Apple app store then you have the option ‘Enhanced search‘, if you have enabled it then all your contacts will be uploaded and used to improve the database of Truecaller.
- ‘Enhanced search‘ option is also available while signing in on the official truecaller’s site.
Is Truecaller safe?
In August 2019, for the first time, people were afraid to use the Truecaller app, as a user after updating Trucaller reported a bug that was automatically sending messages to their banks for creating a credit profile. After some days confirmation came itself from the Trucaller team that this bug was there but now we have removed it and the user can use our app securely.
geo-location, IP address, the applications you have installed, your outgoing and incoming calls, and such private data.
This is shocking that they collect this much private data just for improving user experience! and providing ads that interest you.
This much data is sufficient for hackers to do anything.
Further, when we read the privacy overview on Trucaller’s official website they have clearly mentioned they don’t sell any information to anyone, which is a really good thing for Trucaller users that data Trucaller doesn’t sell any information to anyone but what if someone hacks and steals the data from Trucaller’s database. Well, further reading on the privacy page under the 5th point gave us the answer to this question.
Truecaller says we take all safety measures to protect this data and our team is also prepared for all these things.
Truecaller app Permissions:
- Make & Manage phone calls
- Access phone call logs
- Send and view SMS messages
- Access your contacts
|Truecaller permissions required|
Many other sites and YouTuber’s while reviewing Truecaller said when we give permission to ‘access your contacts’ Truecaller upload the contacts from our smartphone to their server and use it to improve their data, which is a complete myth. If it is true so then Google Play Store and Apple App Store won’t give place to stand in their stores at all as an app in these stores can’t access the contacts present in the smartphone.
Well, we have gone through many points but didn’t found anything against Truecaller’s service and app, which means you can have faith in using Truecaller. Well, Truecaller has very confidential data, where they care about the user experience and they have the responsibility for such valuable data and they care about it.
In this research when we analyzed carefully we found not only Trucaller but also all apps in the market can be unsafe to use.
In this growing world of technology data is the most valuable thing. Many of our everyday usage apps like the chrome browser, Instagram, Facebook collects our data and use it for their profits.
Finally, we recommend using trusted apps and avoid third-party apps that can risk your safety. so finally, we can say you can trust Truecaller and use it.
- How does Truecaller get its data? – support.truecaller.com
- Truecaller UPI bug: Is this spam filter app reading your bank SMS to create your credit profile? – India Today